Top 5: Hawaii Resorts for Family Vacations
The Hawaiian Islands are a top destination for family vacations, and rightfully so! The natural beauty of Hawaii is unparalleled and the activities are plentiful. Each island has a different vibe and offers a different experience. Maui is generally considered the most family-friendly island and is a good choice for first time visitors. For other families, Kauai and the Big Island are a favorite because of the laid-back, remote feel. These islands are less touristy and unspoiled by chain shops and restaurants. Oahu is the most cosmopolitan of the group with a big city ambience. You’ll find just about everything on this island and you’ll never be bored. Whichever island you choose, you won’t be disappointed, especially if you stay in one of Hawaii’s top resorts.
Here are my picks for best Hawaii resorts for families. Each resort caters to families and aims to provide the ideal Hawaiian vacation. Please let me know your favorites!
1. Fairmont Kea Lani - Wailea, Maui – Resort Highlights: luxurious suites and villas just steps away from the pristine white beaches, three swimming pools in a tropical landscape (including toddler pool), snorkeling, sailing, kayaking, stand-up paddling and scuba diving at the resort, babysitting services and Kid’s club for children ages 5 – 13 years with daily programs including: “building erupting volcanoes, crafting sandcastles, lizard hunting, hula lessons, painting coconuts, exploring tidepools, and learning Hawaiian words and phrases.” Read more here.
2. The Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas – Lahaina, Maui – Resort Highlights: kiddie pool with pirate ship and water slides, lazy river, water sport activities, a fun-filled camp for kids 5-12, lei making and hula lessons.
3. Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort & Spa – Waikiki, Oahu- Resort Highlights: lush tropical gardens and waterfalls, outdoor luau, Friday night fireworks, Camp Penguin for kids 5-12, many pools (including a children’s pool and a 5,000-square-foot family activity pool), 20 restaurants and shops.
4. Mauna Lani Bay Hotel And Bungalows – Kohala Coast of Hawaii’s Big Island - Resort Highlights: catamaran sailing, sunset cruises, seasonal whale-watching sails, diving lessons, snorkeling, children’s camp with excursions including exploring tidal pools, historic fishponds and petroglyphs, playing Hawaiian games and Hawaiian crafts.
5. Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa - Poipu, Kauai – Resort Highlights: lush grounds and elegant rooms, black lava rock pool, water slides, lagoon, mountain biking, water volleyball, family luau, Camp Hyatt for kids 3-12 (featuring Koi fish feeding and lei making), hulu lessons, Babies Travel Lite partnership (an innovative service providing all your baby needs).